Shalom! Thank you for your interest in Shaaray Tefila . . .
Please click here for a look at our Prospective Member brochure. Our Director of Congregant Life, Rabbi Deborah Hirsch, 212-535-8008 ext. 241, can answer any questions you may have. Of course, you are always welcome at our Erev Shabbat or Shabbat morning services each week! Please see our calendar for exact times.
At Shaaray Tefila, we view ourselves as a traditionally oriented synagogue of Reform Judaism. We love and honor Jewish tradition and hope that any Jew, from whatever background, will feel at home with us.
At Shaaray Tefila, you will find . . .
- Shabbat and holiday services and celebrations, including weekly Erev Shabbat and Shabbat morning congregational services; our monthly Shabbat Unplugged (a special Erev Shabbat service filled with music and song - and a live band - for adults in their 20s and 30s); Tot Shabbat services; and Family Shabbat Morning services
- Special interest groups and activities, such as JeTSeT (our 20s and 30s group - ask to be added to our mailing list); Mid-Chai for our mid-life members (roughly 45-65); Single Boomers; SAGE (Seniors Against Growing Elderly!) for our active senior members; Chaverim (members roughly 30s and 40s); and even an intergenerational men's cooking brigade (aka "The Latke Guys")
- A wide array of Adult Education opportunities that include Torah study, Hebrew, Arts & Culture Mondays, guest lecturers, an Israeli summer film series, a monthly women’s study group, and more
- A commitment to Social Justice and the opportunity to participate in social action programs and activities that include our weekly Soup Kitchen, Sandwich Saturday, Sanctuary Stitchers, twice-yearly Mitzvah Sundays, food and blood drives, a social action film series and various guest speaker programs
- Religious School for children grades K-12 – including study leading to Bar/Bat Mitzvah and Confirmation (ask about our innovative, family-centered program that serves as an alternative to the Religious School and satisfies all requirements)
- The Nursery School at Shaaray Tefila for children ages 2½ through 5 and Parenting Program for parents and children 18 to 36 months old
- Strong Youth Activities and Informal Education programs for students from Grades 1-12, including Junior and Senior Youth Groups, our popular “Rosh Chodesh: It’s a Girl Thing!”, the Shaaray School of Rock, our junior choir, and Kolot, our teen choir.
We know that the decision to join a synagogue is based on a variety of factors. Most important, however, is the sense that it feels right and that it’s a place – a community – in which you can see yourself participating. Shaaray Tefila has earned a reputation as a warm and inviting congregation. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you into our Temple family.